Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ukraine and Romania

I'm just finishing up a 14 day trip through 4 countries that has found me in 8 different hotels with 5 different roommates. As you can imagine I'm pretty tired but I wanted to post a few pictures of just a few things I've learned:


The Russian Orthodox Church traces its origins to Ukraine.





The Orthodox Church seems to put more emphasis on works than what Jesus did on the cross.



Although beautiful to look at, the Orthodox church in Ukraine and Romania has found itself completley irrelevant and unable to reach the people.



This is the inside of a Ukrainian Orthodox church.



Life in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine.



Anyone hungry for some Ukrainian food?



Even though it's located less than 100 yards from their "home" the lead bishop of the Orthodox Church in Romania has made it clear that he wants nothing to do with these children.



Who will share the love of Jesus with these children?




Marian and me in Sept. 2005



Marian and me in Sept. 2006

On my trip to Romania in 2005 I quickly bonded with a young boy named Marian. I believe he is probably 5 or 6 years old, but life in these wretched conditions makes one's age difficult to determine. Having no running water, electricity, food, or even a toilet, can take it's toll. It was such a blessing to be able to find my friend Marian again on my return visit. I didn't think I'd be able to find him among the hundreds of other children and if I did I wasn't sure how he'd be. I was thrilled to see how much healthier he looked this year. He still had that same warm smile that I remembered and he seems to be overcoming impossible odds.

2 comments:

Alan Grey said...

Hi,
I was wondering what organisation, if any, you were a part of for this trip?

I have been looking at a similar one, so just wanted to know

Cheers

Ryan said...

Hi Alan,
I went with the organization I work with, Church Resource Ministries (see "About Me"). If you are interested in a trip like this (through CRM or another organization) please feel free to email me and I can help point you in the right direction.
Ryan